Sunday, February 24, 2008

Ages


TV is still out...and the Reggae is on..

I got to thinking about all the Ages my generation has seen...other night an ex Mouseketeer...and my age!...sat down while I was at lunch and we reminisced...and that's one Age that began with the Magic Kingdom...then there's things like TV...and Space...and Atomic....now the Web....it's a bit much...geologically...and for most of human history...speaking....I mean...the Stone Age lasted for maybe millions of years....the Bronze for thousands...the Iron hundreds...nowadays we go through Ages almost yearly!!

There's a kinda line that can be drawn between the Geologic Ages...before people...and when people show up...like the Valley...it was in a millions of years steady Age...like a Climax Forest...and then the Indians came...and I dont think it was that long ago...as the Valley was likely full of mosquitoes in the Summer...and there's tons more food at the lower elevations...I think the coming of the Spanish...and then the miners...may have forced them to the higher elevations...they did trade back and forth across the Sierra for a long time...and Indian artifacts have been found all over the Sierra and at very high elevations...but there's no middens..leastwise that I've heard about...hereabouts...and so the Valley's 'Age" I think began with Hutchings and Ayers...the first tourists!

And it's very different to have these Ages popping up and disappearing willy nilly...it's not evolutionary at all...though terms like "the evolution of aviation" are often heard...evolution is a very slow process...kinda like a reverse of the erosion that brings down mountain ranges...like the Glaciers that made the Valley...that was slow...maddeningly slow for anyone eager for the next electronic gadget...each species is the result of millions of years of Nature's tinkering...and each ecosystem likewise...I dont think people appreciate this when they are bulldozing a chaparral hillside for a house...the Elfin Forests are old...cleared away in fires and floods..they regenerate and those plants and animals have been there for millions years! Tide pools too...they are old!...then the field trip kids come along and turn over all the rocks...I want to do a post of Tide Pools...but will have to vacation to see them...which I haven't for too long!...

Where was I?...sometime I listen to and go through on N. the old Billboard's Best Songs for each year...they dont have them all...lot of artists wont release to online song sites...but a lot of them...and going through year by year one can follow the Ages of popular music...

I really like that Hopeton Lewis, Boom Shacka Lacka..."gonna thank the Lord...for the grass...the bird's singing..."....looked for the lyrics but couldn't find web page with them...or much about Lewis...it's an old song...sixties...won award in 1970...

Other day...Last Chance crowded as usual...and at break a friend sat down across from me...and before eating said their silent prayer...when this happens I always sit quiet with respect until they finish...myself I just mumble something to myself with no show..when I remember...mostly I'm afraid I forget grace and just dig in like most everyone else!!

I think Brittany was a Mouseketeer...and needless to say has gone..is going through...Ages..."Not uncommon nowadays." I told a friend, incredulous how someone successful stumbles.

Well..a search brought up Hopeton Lewis' web site...

http://www.hopetonlewis.com/

site has unworking menu in places...search just "Hopeton Lewis" does okay...

Jesus of course began the Christian Age.

A search brought up Amy Grant and her album "Age to Age"..."Next Time I Fall" she sings too...and tried to find it..a top song in 1986...instead listening to Whitney Houston...

Here's one on the Evolution of Flight...with an interesting note that evolution is in the here and now..and doesn't anticipate the future...that's something people can do...but often dont!!

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/vertebrates/flight/evolve.html

there's a whole bunch that come up with google "evolution of flight" search!

And here's one of the fellows...and some say the first for powered flight...Santos Dumont...that began our "Age of Flight" on a youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKwbRLc7_4E

and there's a whole bunch of those!!
Pic is Dumont.
Well...I got to thinking about the movie Karate Kid...which has the sound I recalled...and did have song from Peter Cetera who sings with Amy Grant "The Next Time I Fall"...and it's on Amazon...it's Cetera's voice I recalled...
Without memory there is only the here and now...
And of course a Youtube search brings up a song video!...and a bunch!
Peter Cetera and Amy Grant singing "The Next Time I Fall"....
Well...once your in an Age..you're in it...willynilly...and it's now the Age of the Web...and I dont think anyone anticipated it!





DavidDavid
Tree in the Door

No comments: