Saturday, February 9, 2008

How California Came Together


I think John McPhee has an explanation...


Galapagos on National Geographic...cruise ships bring a hundred thousand visitors each year...


But California...brb...well..he wrote Assembling California...and I can't recall if I've read it...I happened on his Deltoid Pumpkin Seed story in the New Yorker...and thought it all true...and have been a captive fan since...Oranges is my favorite...brb..


I think I'll make my Third Wonder of the Natural World the San Andreas Fault...pic is from wikipedia site on the Fault...
quote
Later volcanism in the Jurassic intruded and covered these rocks in what may have been magmatic activity associated with the early stages of the creation of the Sierra Nevada Batholith. 95% of these rocks were eventually removed by uplifted-accelerated erosion. Most of the remaining rocks are exposed as 'roof pendents' in the eastern metamorphic zone. Mount Dana and Mount Gibbs are made of these metavolcanic rocks. Only 5% of the rocks exposed in Yosemite National Park are metamorphic.
end quote
not sure what a "roof pendant" is...but that's interesting...more Dana lore..and Gibbs...they're like twins...wiki's site is a good read and step off...
There's something superstitiously fearful about earthquakes...and tomorrow Yellowstones volcano..
Someguy has moustrap on his tongue...I dont know what's come on...but it's going off!!...
DavidDavid
Tree in the Door

No comments: