Saturday, May 12, 2007

Oops out of time


Today’s bit from “Souvenir”…

“And then there’s our Prince,
Who missed with 1999…”

I saw the news footage of Prince performing at Superbowl time when I wrote Souvenir, and that’s how he got in there. He was being Devilish. And one of the charms of the web is I can now read lyrics to songs I’ve always had trouble understanding. I hear okay, but rock and roll lyrics, and Spanish lessons have always escaped me!

Here’s some of the lyric…

“I was dreamin' when I wrote this

Forgive me if it goes astray

But when I woke up this mornin'

Coulda sworn it was judgment day

The sky was all purple

There were people runnin' everywhere

Tryin' 2 run from the destruction

U know I didn't even care

'Cuz they say two thousand zero zero party over

Oops out of time

So tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1999”



I think I might make the same caveat regarding “Sourvenir”: forgive me if I go astray.

But Prince’s words are really good. While I’m writing, CNN is doing a documentary on Iraq, Month of Mayhem, with a British or Austrailian newsman narrating.

And that song was written in 1983, and all those years leading up to the turn of the century it was a kindof party anthem.

Party singing for me is singing, Take me out to the ball game… during the seventh inning stretch! But I can see/hear Joan Jett singing, I love rock and roll…

Songfacts on the web has the best collection of rock and roll lore I’ve found.

DavidDavid
Tree in the Door
May 12, 2007

No comments: