Thursday, November 22, 2007

Delos


One of the things I've been a bit gone on, since like 95...well...let me tell how I found Delos...

Microsoft Word...or was it Adobe Pagemaker...I forget...the software instruction ...oh yeah...it was Aldus...had the story of Aldus and an emblem..a dolphin and an anchor...and as it happens I was reading a National Geographic tale about an ancient ship wreck along the coast of France in the Mediterranean...or somewhere like that....and the story told how they traced the origin of the wreck's cargo..some of it anyway..marked with a dolphin logo...to the island of Delos...now, I've been gone on Dolphins for a very long time!..and there was a house there called the House of the Dolphins...and I thought that was cool...and then I read some more on Delos..and it's really cool.

It was a place of pilgrimage, among many things, and back then pilgrims were what we call tourists today.

Nowadays tourists cant stay on Delos..they can day trip..and that's it...and even the ancients gave it special status..no one could be born or die there...

I could fill this all out...but just google up Delos...wikipedia has a good entry look...I'm gonna save my stuff for some more posts on Delos...and let me finish up with a quote I found there from the Homeric Hymns..which I've used here before on another subject...
Oh, in the Valley there's births, and deaths...but you cant be buried here!...the ancients removed all the graves from Delos...a side by side curio.
quote
Delos, if you would be willing to be the abode of my son Phoebus Apollo and make him a rich temple --; for no other will touch you, as you will find: and I think you will never be rich in oxen and sheep, nor bear vintage nor yet produce plants abundantly. But if you have the temple of far-shooting Apollo, all men will bring you hecatombs and gather here, and incessant savour of rich sacrifice will always arise, and you will feed those who dwell in you from the hand of strangers; for truly your own soil is not rich.
—Homeric Hymn to Delian Apollo
unquote
sheesh...Drew was on..then High Plains Drifter..now Hackman's mowing them down in the Sharon Stone gunfighter contest movie...
"I'm in charge of everything!!" Hackman rants.
Oh, the web has made everything too easy...I had to prowl libraries and bookstores all over for Delos lore...here's where it started...
quote
The famous "Dolphin and Anchor" device of Aldus appeared for only the second time in the second state of the 1502 Dante, and was used subsequently in all his editions. It is the symbol of the ancient proverb "Festina lente" (Hurry up slowly) which Aldus had taken as a motto as early as 1499, and seems to have regularly expounded to his friends.
unquote
Now, that is yet another explanation.
DavidDavid
Tree in the Door
Nov. 20, 2007

No comments: