Friday, November 30, 2007

Hawks' Dominion


Hawks have dominion over mice and the imaginations of men!!
I did a painting for an art class a long time ago...we had to make a big painting..three feet square...and I did two...one was a moth from a National Geographic photo...so big that the wings looked like an aerial shot of roads and rivers and things...and for the second I snagged a pic of Horus, the ancient Egyptian falcon god, in a tomb...and the the painting, the original...had deteriorated and the eye of Horus was gone...shades of the myth!!...and so I did the second painting from this...and "restored" the Eye of Horus...the painting I did would hang on the wall of the apartments I moved about to...it's in the rafters in the garage at home I think now!...these two painting were the only paintings I did for most of my life until I took up art about seven years ago...so I thought on all this after seeing the Cooper's Hawk this morning.
There are Falcons hereabouts, so I hope to get their pic too!
Now, I cant go into everything about the Egyptian god Horus...but the image of Horus sitting on Isis' lap is worth some pondering!!
And I got to thinking about the obelisk in Las Vegas that adorns one of the Egyptian themed hotels...I saw it against the blue desert sky...the very top I mean...one of the reasons I've read the Egyptians revered the falcon was that it flew so high..and I sometimes think the obelisks point to that high sky where the falcons reside...oh, but here...a quote from wikipedia's bit on Cleopatra's Needles...
quote

The Horus, Strong-Bull-Son-of-Khepri,
the King of Upper and Lower Egypt, User-maat-ra, Chosen-of-Ra, the-Golden Horus,
Mighty-in years-and-great-of-victories, the Son of Ra,
Ramesses, Beloved-of-Amun, who came forth from the womb
in order to receive the crowns of Ra,
who created him to be sole lord the Lord of the Two Lands,
User-maat-ra Chosen-of-Ra, the Son of Ra.
Ramesses, Beloved-of-Amun, one serviceable to Ra and granted life like Ra.
The Horus, Strong-Bull-Appearing-in Thebes,
he of the Two La Goddesses,
Enduring-of-kingship-like-Ra-in-heaven, Bodily son of Atum, whom the Mistress of
Heliopolis bore to him, Thutmose,
whom they created in the temple in the beauty of their members, knowing that
he would exercise enduring kingship throughout eternity,
the King of Upper and Lower Egypt, Men-kheper-ra, beloved of Atum,
the great god, together with his Enneat,
granted all life, stability, and dominion like Ra for ever.
The Horus, Strong-Bull-Beloved-of-Ra,
the King of Upper and Lower Egypt, User-maat-ra, Chosen-of-Ra,
Ra, created by the gods, who founded the Two Lands, the Son of Ra,
Ramesses, Beloved-of-Amun,
the noble youth, beloved like Aten when the shines on the horizeon,
the Lord of the Two Lands, User-maat-Ra,
Chosen-of-Ra, the Son of Ra,
Ramesses, Beloved-of-Amun, one serviceable to Ra and granted life like Ra.
end quote
I've always liked Egyptian stuff!!
DavidDavid
Tree in the Door
Nov. 30, 2007

No comments: