Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Battle Blog

I thought today at work to do a post called Battle Blog. I was looking at a friend's Valley blog last nite and realized that mine just is not as sweet. I don't think anyone would want their ads stuck to mine insomuch as I, well, sorta rant.

I was trying to think what poets would have "Battle Blogs"...

Wait, I googled Battle Blog and it's a trademarked domain name for a little computer application that works very much like the way Google's does here. How it got called Battle Blog I couldn't find yet..


(found: quote

David E. Pinero

Battle Blog

Battle Blog started out to be what Digg actually became. During the Summer of 2003 I became intrigued by the idea of content posted at a blog that readers could vote up or down based on their appreciation of the individual blog posts. My idea at the time was that a blogger - or rather a community of bloggers, would all post essays or blog entries to have them unmercifully rated in this promotion/demotion process. In the end the best essay would be at the top of the presentation while the worst ones would list at the bottom. The absolute worst would be voted right off the presentation (I came to call this occurrence the act of battle blasting content). The name, Battle Blog, reflected the battle that resulted in people voting blog content up while others who disagreed with it voted the same content down. Hence, Battle Blog.

http://www.davidpinero.com/web/home/battleblog.asp

unquote)

William Blake could do a Battle Blog (not in the program sense!!). Stuff from his Songs of Experience I'm thinking of...letmegetone...

London by William Blake

I wander through each chartered* street,
Near where the chartered Thames does flow,
And mark in every face I meet,
Marks of weakness, marks of woe.
In every cry of every man, In every infant's cry of fear,
In every voice, in every ban,
The mind-forged manacles I hear:
How the chimney-sweeper's cry
Every blackening church appals,
And the hapless soldier's sigh
Runs in blood down palace-walls.
But most, through midnight streets
I hear How the youthful harlot's curse
Blasts the new-born infant's tear,
And blights with plagues the marriage-hearse.


That kindof battle in words I had in mind when I thought up Battle Blog. I'll have to give this more thought...Chimney sweeps didn't live long.




Wikipedia has a bit on the sweeps...in Victorian England it became a scandal the treatment of kids employed as sweeps, and changes were made to improve the safety of the job. Reminds me of the lace makers in Old Shanghai...

Chartered now means something like a chartered airplane. In Blake's time it meant the street, the river, were owned by a wealthy person, probably I'm thinking "chartered" by the King or Nobility.

Poems often take off from the very first lines...I think I said as much before with regard to Souvenir.



DavidDavid
Tree in the Door
June 20, 2007

No comments: