Thursday, July 26, 2007

Hang Nest


... Fortunately, the only people that I dislike are afraid to enter it. The hole in the roof is to command a view of the glorious South Dome, five thousand feet high. There is a corresponding skylight on the other side of the roof which commands a full view of the upper Yosemite Falls, and the window in the end has a view sweeping down the Valley among the pines and cedars and silver firs. The window in the mill roof to the right is above my head, and I have to look at the stars on calm nights."

John Muir describing his "hang nest", the little cabin in the sawmill along the creek by the Lower Falls.

When I was given housing in my cabin I considered it quite a gift (and still do!!), insomuch because of the views, the Falls to the right, and Sentinal to the left, albeit somewhat marred by the road, and a telephone wire. These will be fixed when the road becomes a walkway promenade, I think.

Anyway, what Muir said, and how I feel about the cabin, are kindalike. Somehow we both ended up in a unique place, though the places themselves are humble. Mine is often referred to as gloomy inside...well, it's the way I feel at times so it's a fit!!

But here's another one...

The Glacier Point Hotel manager talking to Huel Howeser in Fire Fall episode of California Gold on PBS.

Manager: From my room I could see Half Dome in the evening before I went to bed, and in the morning I could see Half Dome after I awoke.

Huel: Oh, you were spoiled rotten!!

end quote

If by some circumstance one finds oneself living in a unique setting with a view there's a kinda pride, a pinch me I'm dreaming sense, and of course it impresses when people ask where you live. Or work. One tourist from Japan asked where we employees lived, and I described my cabin's location, and he said, Oh, you have the best job in the world!!

Well, all the employees here have experiences like that, and in other parks and tourists spots too. One brief summer working in Sequoia I was often asked how to get a job there.

I've learned to avoid the conversation. It's tough to handle, as it's a dream land place. It's not a bed of roses, but compared to "town life" it has it's merits!!

Howser's show is the closest I've seen to capturing the charm of the Valley. And the people who visit.

In truth, the vacationer in the one, or just few visits, whether it's a day or a week or two, actually experiences the Valley most truly, and takes away a precious experience.

It's hard to explain, there a tourist's Yosemite, and then there's a residents Yosemite. For the latter, one has to read their stories, or just find a way to be here.

What I think is that the brevity of a visit doesn't diminish it.

Another ALIAS is on...Sydney in fine gloomy circumstances!!

DavidDavid
Tree in the Door
July 24, 2007

No comments: