Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Ghosts We Think We See


quote

Ghosts we think we see

The mind also tends to impute consciousness to inanimate objects (ever yell at a balky computer?). This leads us to believe that natural phenomena are "purposeful, caused by agents with sentient minds," says Hood, whose book "The Supernatural Sense" is due next year. It's only a short step to thinking that " 'things that go bump in the night' are the result of some spirit or agent," not branches brushing against your drainpipe.
The Ghosts We Think We See
Normal brain functions, such as seeing patterns, make us more likely to believe in the supernatural.
By Sharon Begley
NEWSWEEK
Updated: 3:17 PM ET Oct 27, 2007


http://www.newsweek.com/id/62337/output/print


unquote


I had a lot of different thoughts for the post (missed last nite...at dentist) but when I read on line news tonight there was this story...and it is deadon to what I was talking about in the Haunted Mind posts.


It doesn't extrapolate, as I did, into how this effects how we percieve stories though, and I think that's important. But read together with those earlier posts, or just Hawthorne's Haunted Mind!, is worth...reading!!


But to call it a "sense" the book author Hood has taken it futher than I did...I was being cautious...as if it's a sense...what is it sensing!!??


Halloween is on...I dont watch these usually...but it's midnight almost...and it's Halloween...hoo hoo hoohoo hoo.


DavidDavid

Tree in the Door

Oct. 31, 2007

No comments: