Saturday, October 13, 2007

Mud Puppies


I must have thought about something during the day, but I cant recollect!! Worked making a DVD...news on, and a couple CSI episodes...oh, there was something...the Turkey genocide...my Great Uncle served in the Merchant Marine and saw some of this war...on a vacation visit once when I was very little a neighbor big kid came by with his 22 and we went down to a hollow where birds were on the telephone wires, and he proceed to plink them. I didn't know what to make of this, being too young to handle a rifle, and later when I related the story to my Uncle he was glad I hadn't been offered to shoot the gun. And somehow the conversation he was having with my Dad turned to his sailing days, and what the Turks did to the Armenians...it was one of those indelible days in a kid's growing up.

National Geographic the other night had a bit on salamanders, some giant ones in the South's rivers, and all over the world. Mud puppies and devil something I think they were called. In one part two old timers were talking, and lamenting that when they were kids they played in the rivers, and sometimes did cruel things to the salamanders, kids will be kids...and they had changed and appreciated the effort to preserve them and their habitats.

Genocides in war are on another scale, and on the scales of justice.
Pic is an Alabama Waterdog, from wiki....

DavidDavid
Tree in the Door
Oct. 13, 2007

No comments: