Friday, December 21, 2007

The Eagle Atop the Cedar


I thought some more on Ezekiel today...but without the text I didn't try to fill it out...this is sorta like when I think up a poem...until I have a chance to be still for awhile with pencil and paper...or nowadays the computer...I dont let it get up and running...sorta speak... but that's all an aside...lemego get the bit about the Eagle on the Cedar...brb..


quote



1 And the word of the LORD came unto me, saying:
2 'Son of man, put forth a riddle, and speak a parable unto the house of Israel,
3 and say: Thus saith the Lord GOD: A great eagle with great wings and long pinions, full of feathers, which had divers colours, came unto Lebanon, and took the top of the cedar;


unquote


It's the beginning of a riddle...which I have to reread...brb...


I have trouble following it...but it looks to be about Israel falling to the Babylonians and being taken captive...which all has the often curious thing of God putting into the head of other Kings and Nations to beset Israel with one misery or another!...here, the end of this chapter...seems to be a summation...


quote



22 Thus saith the Lord GOD: Moreover I will take, even I, of the lofty top of the cedar, and will set it; I will crop off from the topmost of its young twigs a tender one, and I will plant it upon a high mountain and eminent;
23 in the mountain of the height of Israel will I plant it; and it shall bring forth boughs, and bear fruit, and be a stately cedar; and under it shall dwell all fowl of every wing, in the shadow of the branches thereof shall they dwell.
24 And all the trees of the field shall know that I the LORD have brought down the high tree, have exalted the low tree, have dried up the green tree, and have made the dry tree to flourish; I the LORD have spoken and have done it.' {P}


unquote


Now, above my door is the photo I took of the Tuolumne Hawk...a Redtail...it's on the top of a Lodgepole Pine...clouds in the distance...looking to the side...and the wind ruffling it's chest feathers...it's an enlargement 22x30...it already has some personal lore from the day and efforts when I took it...and this bit from Ezekiel adds to that...the raptors hereabouts, Hawks and Owls, often perch right on top of the trees..I've seen them on Cedars...and the author of this bit must have seen them...and been taken with it!...and I thought too to find out what is happening with the Cedars of Lebanon...brb....


Well...they dont look like the Cedars here...more like Monterrey Pines...the ones here have the look of Xmas trees.
Alien Resurrection was on...it was kinda mesmerizing!...afterwards I somehow landed on the weather channel and left it there throughout...oh..and it's late again!
And this goes with the pic...
quote
The traveller earnestly desired to behold the cedars of Lebanon: for a great deal is said about them in the Bible; indeed, the temple of Solomon was built of those cedars. It was not easy to get close to them; for there were craggy rocks all around: but at last the traveller reached them, and stood beneath their shade. There were twelve very large old trees, and their boughs met at the top, and kept off the heat of the sun. These trees might be compared to holy men, grown old in the service of God: for this is God's promise to his servants,—"The righteous shall flourish like the palm-tree: he shall grow like a cedar in Lebanon."—Psalm xc. 11, 12.
unquote
DavidDavid
Tree in the Door


No comments: